Expenses typically refer to the cost of work carried out at a property on behalf of the landlord. They can be created in the following locations within the system:
- From a supplier invoice – i.e. when recording the invoice for the work from the supplier/contractor who carried out the work (see “Recording Supplier Invoices”)
- From the “Expenses” side-menu of the property – where it is also possible to record details of the associated supplier invoice (see below)
- From a maintenance job – click the “Add” link next to the “Expense” field on the job
In all cases, once the expense has been created, it can be accessed again from the “Expenses” side-menu against the property.
Once created, the expense will then be included in the next landlord statement covering the date of the expense. It will be paid either as a deduction from the landlord’s rental income (the default), or from the landlord’s float if the landlord has one on account.
Recording a property expense
The following steps detail how to create an expense directly against the property (alternatively, expenses can be created when recording a supplier invoice or from a maintenance job).
- The expenses list for a property can be accessed from two places:
- From the property: click on the “Expenses” side-menu link
- From a letting at the property: click on “Property Expenses” link in the “Quick Links” section in the side-menu
- “Property Expense”: the landlord is responsible for paying property expenses
- “Tenant Expense”: the tenant is responsible for paying these expenses (they are added to the Tenant’s Account)
Expenses can also be created from:
- A maintenance job: click the “Add” link next to “Expense”
- A supplier invoice: enter the expense details (property) when adding the supplier invoice.